Posted by: monsonmadness | December 6, 2012

Should I stay or should I go?

We have a HUGE decision to make. After spending a horrendous 5 1/2 hours at the hospital today (not a single masseuse in sight can you believe it?) the bottom line is this:

(If you don’t know what I’m talking about, refer to this (ER visit on Monday), to this (hospital update), or to this (prenatal care on the island)

The doctor says I should not have the baby on this island and that I should leave to go somewhere where there is a cardiologist and can get an echo done.

The question is, do we pack up our family and leave and move back to Utah where we can get the medical help we need, (with no health insurance unless Michael can find a job fast), or do we ship me off to Hawaii by myself for testing just in case the tests come back fine and I can deliver here after all?

Of course, if the tests are not fine, then we go back to shipping the whole family back to Utah early, and we are on a tight time frame. If we moved the whole family, we would need to leave in 4 weeks, so if we choose Hawaii, I’d need to go next week.

Stressful? Not at all! I’ll just go lie down and rest while you guys think about it and let me know what we should do. Sound good?

plane_over_the_island_1920x1080

Advertisements

Responses

  1. Wow! That is a tough one! With all of the other challenges of life there, I’d say it is time to come back to Utah. I just feel Michael will find something great really fast. I will be praying that Heavenly Father will guide you in this decision.Lots of love and prayers coming your way!

  2. Wow. I have nothing to add, except prayers and well wishes. Good luck! (And come home!!! To Portland?)

  3. Oh my! Your post about collapsing and having episodes of a racing heartbeat was scary, and now your doctor is saying you need to deliver somewhere else. I don’t know what the right answer to your question is, but if they can’t properly help you and your symptons on the island, then what about if your baby were to need intensive care? I would not plan to have the baby there even if your tests are ok. Just too risky.

    I would go to Hawaii asap for the testing so you know how serious your condition is & get proper treatment to prevent future episodes–what if you fell again and hurt yourself or the baby, or it started contractions this early, etc? At first I thought that if you at least got tested in Hawaii you could know from that point whether you should move or just plan on going back to deliver in Hawaii. But of course delivering in Hawaii presents different challenges – you can’t know when the baby would come, and that would mean setting up housing and solo-ing it there way in advance of the due date. Then finding someone to be with or to come to you so you weren’t alone. I will pray for you to get an answer about what road to take! I am sure you and Michael will be guided.

  4. Oh my goodness! That is a huge decision to have to make. I will be praying for you!

  5. If your previous births have all been fine and complication free, I would go to Hawaii and see how things really are. If there is any doubt then go to Utah where you will have friends and family. No amount of debt or worries can bring you or a baby back should the worst happen. Having lost a baby, I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, don’t risk anything for the sake of money.Of course there may be the option of coming to Britain, staying with your mum and using the nhs? Good luck and really will be praying for you. X

  6. That is stressful, Helen. I would be really nervous to have the baby there. We will pray for you guys that everything will work out. You know, Utah is a pretty great place. Even if it is cold.

  7. How about going back to Utah with the kids and having your mum come help? Michael can stay with the job so you don’t lose your insurance. That is what I would do.

  8. Wow. I’ll pray for you and your family’s big decision here and also for you to try and get rest. Good luck, dear Helen! Thinking of you….

  9. My first thought is Come Home. But I thought Sheri had a good idea, too. Certainly something to give some thought and prayer to.

    • Thanks everyone. Here are a few more details. We don’t have health insurance here, we don’t need it, it’s socialized medicine so everything is free. We do not have insurance at all in the states, so delivering in Hawaii or Utah would be the same, no insurance.
      I looked into coming back to Britain, but I don’t qualify for the NHS any more 😦
      My other births have been fine, but that’s not really the issue…I’ve never had these complications before, so it changes everything.
      Stepping back, we shouldn’t make this a money issue. Thank you all for your kind words and advice, it helps a lot. Still have lots of unknowns and things we’re trying to think through, but don’t feel panicked! It will work out…

  10. You got the answer, there’s a relief out there..go enjoy it…even though it’s hard for us…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: