Here are some random things that we have been doing lately:
* We got all the cousins together for a photograph for the first time in two years. Two weeks later another one was born! Time for an update!
* We had ANOTHER Pinewood Derby. Urgh. Two in one year is two too many! Benjamin did a corn on the cob, and for the first time ever, Matthew chose a car. Way too normal for our family.
* I am a bit frustrated about being foreign and not understanding things. I have had kids in elementary school for five years now. This year, at Midway Elementary, I was informed about Field Day just like I had been at every other school. Never before had I been invited or knew what this was. I thought it was just a fun day at the end of school where the kids played games and had fun. Wrong! It is like British sports day where they have races and events like the sack race and the egg and spoon race. Can’t believe I’ve missed out on so much the last few years. Made it to watch all four school kids in their races this year. It was fun. Poor Matthew came last in everything but he had a smile on his face most of the time. I was really proud of him.
Mary and Emma got pretty bored watching, but the free snow cones made up for it. Wonder who they must take after? Treats make anything better right?
* The kids were thrilled that Grandma and Grandpa came up to watch Matthew and Benjamin’s 4th grade program. The boys sang some songs and did some square dancing. Their teacher had told me she was really proud of Benjamin because he was partnered with a girl that no-one wanted to dance with and he never complained. He takes after his Dad (putting up graciously with a less than desirable female!)
At the awards, Matthew and Benjamin received certificates for perfect attendance. Michael doesn’t think it should count because they’ve only been there since January, but I say good for them (and me).
* We had a fundraiser at our church a while ago for the teenagers to earn money for their camps. They donated their services and we would bid on them. I bid on a ton of babysitting because I’ve been needing a lot of help with various medical appointments (well can you imagine how hard it is for me to drag three girls around with me, especially when I’m having a physical?!) We only had one left and I was determined to use it for something FUN, not just something that I had to do.
I had the babysitter come over on Saturday afternoon so that the 3 small girls were napping, and Michael and I went on a bike ride into Heber. It was AWESOME. It was really hot and we got sunburned, but it was fun. The scenery here is fantastic, and it felt good to get some exercise. We cycled about 8 or 9 miles. Of course, there was more to my plan than that…our destination was of course for a treat, so we rode to Grannie’s for an over the top grasshopper milkshake. Yum! (And Michael just got water…boring)
* We had a great time over Memorial Day weekend. We played tennis (kids played at the park), did our bike ride, used our free coupons at Dairy Keen for lunch, and got some work done on sanding our new dining set.
Michael’s family came up on Monday and we went to the park, went swimming, and had a BBQ. Grace went in the water for the first time and didn’t cry at all. A good time was had by all.
Enjoy the photos.